RWV’s Southeastern Pennsylvania coordinator, Rebecca Foley, was there yesterday as officials from the Department of Health and Human Service stopped in Philadelphia on their latest “listening tour.” This time, the topic was the Essential Health Benefits package that must be covered by all health plans that are offered in state insurance exchanges. HHS is seeking comments from stakeholders, including consumers, on how to go about defining that package of benefits.
Rebecca was among more than 100 people, including advocates, doctors, insurance companies and brokers, who attended this session to provide their input. Rebecca urged HHS to establish a set of benefits that will help ensure that women and our families have access to health insurance that provides meaningful coverage of services we need to stay healthy. She called on HHS to establish a system that is transparent, robust, evidence-based, non-discriminatory and can meet the needs of diverse populations. Rebecca encouraged other members of the local Southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of Raising Women’s Voices to attend as well so women’s health needs and concerns were very well represented and voiced at this session.
HHS will listen to you, too, if you can get to one of the remaining listening sessions on the benefits package. What should you say, if you go? E-mail us at email@example.com if you would like some background information.
Here are the locations and dates, as well as information on how to register:
- New York: Nov. 14, from 10 to noon at 25 Federal Plaza, Suite 3835, Manhattan. RSVP to Joynetta.Bell@hhs.gov by Nov. 9 (today)
- Kansas City, MO: Nov. 15, from 10 a.m. to noon at Bolling Federal Office Building, 8th Floor SSA Conference room, 601 E. 12th Street. RSVP to Cindy.Cento@hhs.gov by Nov. 10 (tomorrow)
- Atlanta, GA: Nov. 16, from 10 a.m. to noon at 61 Forsyth St., SW, Suite 5B95. RSVP to ORDAtlanta@hhs.gov by Nov. 14.
- Denver, CO: Nov. 18, from 9 a.m. to noon at 999 18th St. , South Terrace, Suite 400. RSVP to Ezra.Watland@hhs.gov.
- San Francisco, CA: Nov. 21, from 3 to 5 p.m. at 90 Seventh Street, Suite 5-100. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. No cut-off date for RSVPs has yet been announced.
- Seattle, WA: Nov. 17, from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Jackson Federal Building, 915 2nd Ave, South Auditorium, Seattle, WA. No RSVP information has been released yet.