Overnight, House Republican leaders have once again amended the already awful proposed American Health Care Act (AHCA) and they are rushing to vote on it this afternoon. We must do everything we can to #Killthebill today and stop the momentum in Congress to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and cut Medicaid.
We already knew that the proposed AHCA would raise premiums 20 percent, charge older people five times more than young people, provide only skimpy subsidies, cut Medicaid, block women from using their Medicaid coverage at Planned Parenthood and cause 24 million people to lose their health insurance. The new amendments have made a bad bill even worse:
- Maternity coverage would no longer be guaranteed. Nor would coverage for any of the Essential Health Benefits that women and our families need, such as ER visits, doctor visits and prescription drugs.
- As a result, women would once again end up paying more than men. Anyone who needed maternity coverage (women of reproductive health age) would have to pay more for it. Trei Clark of Atlanta recalls paying $350 a month extra for maternity coverage before the ACA.
- People with pre-existing conditions would end up having to pay exorbitant prices for health coverage. That’s because insurers would eliminate from their basic plans coverage for things like breast cancer treatment. Coverage for such treatment would become an expensive extra, effectively pricing health coverage beyond the reach of people with pre-existing conditions.
- Because the ACA’s ban on annual or lifetime caps on coverage applied only to the Essential Health Benefits, when the EHBs are eliminated, insurers are free to once again impose annual and lifetime limits on coverage. This means that once again, we and our families could find ourselves running out of coverage part way through treatment for an illness, such as breast cancer, or accident. Once again, families could face bankruptcy because of skyrocketing medical bills.
- Call your members of the House of Representatives immediately! Here are the toll-free call-in numbers: English: 866-426-2631 Spanish: 877-736-7831
- Find a protest event near you and join it today! Check out ResistanceNearMe.org for events.
- Use social media to alert your family, friends and colleagues about this emergency call to action to save our health care. Check out the Raising Women’s Voices Facebook page at RWV4Healthcare.